Sunday, July 16, 2006

Politically Correct Faith?


Ever since the Supreme Court decided that the phrase in the Bill of Rights, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;" meant the complete ‘separation between church and state’. (A phrase first written by Thomas Jefferson and later reiterated by James Madison and Ulysses S. Grant..) People have used it to push any mention of God out public discourse. [Never mind that those men all publicly endorsed a belief in God, or that ‘The Creator’, and ‘natures God’ are referred to in The Declaration of Independence and in the Constitution.]

What the Bill of Rights referred to was the government not favoring any particular sect or faith. God has always been above any particular religion. But, human nature being what it is, people don’t want to be reminded that they will ultimately be held responsible for their actions so they choose to put God out of their minds for the most part.

On some level we still sense a spiritual aspect of our existence but, instead of acknowledging God in it, we ‘clean it up’…for politically correct reasons of course! Now instead of God, we have a ‘higher power’. Instead of God answering prayers, we send them out into the universe and somehow the universe answers them. Instead of angels sent from God, angels just come and go by their own initiative apart from any god. We still need to feel good about ourselves, after all, and this watered down, meaningless pseudo-faith allows us to be ‘spiritual but not religious’…

I had a conversation recently with two older women, one a former social worker and one a semi-retired clinical psychologist. I told them I used to work in the field as a Clinical Psychologist but now only use my education for writing. I sometimes still counsel but I only do so as a Christian service, not for profit. They balked when I mentioned the word ‘Christian’? I later asked one why.

She first said that a counselor shouldn’t limit their approach to Freudian, Rogerian, Jungian or other approaches and that a ‘Christian’ approach was limited in a similar way. I told her it wasn’t an approach to how I counseled, it was a moral guide to what I counseled. She knew that I had worked for the state, when I was counseling, and was very quick to tell me she hoped I left the ‘Christian’ part of me away from the office. Church and state were supposed to be separate after all! I first said: Of course I did. Then I thought about it…I’m not at all sure what she meant? Now this was a lady that would be quick to tell you she is ‘spiritual but not religious’ but she made a point of saying she was not a Christian several times. It became clear in the conversation that she thought somewhat less of me for my personal convictions.

Her comments were, of course, the politically correct thing to say. But, I consider that somewhere between naïve and moronic… How a counselor is supposed to leave a big part of themself out of a counseling session is beyond me? I have never, and would never, try to convert anyone. I am always ready to answer any questions I’m asked about my faith but that’s different.

What, exactly, people like this lady have against Christianity is beyond me. But, it is a common thing to hear these days. The ‘politically correct’ would rarely say such things about, say, Islam. I wonder what part of my personal beliefs I’m ‘supposed’ to leave out of my counseling? For that matter I wonder what part of their personal beliefs our founding fathers would be expected to leave out of our sacred documents if they were framing them today?

I believe it’s better to be honest than to lie. I believe it’s right to keep ones word. I believe adultery is wrong. I also believe intentionally hurting others is wrong. I could list a page or two of what I believe is right and wrong, and I believe most people would agree with my list. Well, newsflash here, my moral code comes from my faith as a Christian!

This is yet another attack on faith by people who don’t want to be reminded there is a God and He is the only true source of morality for His creation. The politically correct have run amok. They think of themselves as much more ‘enlightened’ than someone who would believe such outdated myths as the Bible! But I think they are a far greater threat to our society than any people of faith! They are working feverishly to save a society that they are slowly destroying!

Now that I think of it…the comment was much closer to moronic than naïve. And, it’s people like her that run our social systems! If that passes for wisdom these days, may God help us!

No comments: