Monday, October 17, 2005

Open for Business!

2005 has been an important year for my heart. The death of someone special to me caused it to slowly shut down long ago. It was as if I had put a sign outside of it: “Closed Until Further Notice”. In the last year I have lost more friends and relatives to death than ever before in my life. I know that’s to be expected as we get older, but it doesn’t make it any easier. One friend’s death, in particular, made an impression on me. A man in his nineties named Bill Copenhaver whom I had known for many years quietly faded off in his sleep. He was a blessing in my life. I don’t think I ever met a more decent, gentle, unassuming man. He was married to the love of his life, Mabel, for over sixty years. She died a few years ago leaving him alone and ready to join her. They were such an amazing example of life-long love… I stopped by the nursing home where he spent his last month the day before he slipped beyond the veil. I touched his forehead as he slept and, unintentionally, awakened him. We exchanged a few words. I told him that I loved him and he told me the same. He was one of those people that just made life easier to bear for me. His death reminded me of the saying: “Don’t cry because it’s over, Smile because it happened!” I did both at the same time… I’ve found that even in moments of darkness and despair there are moments of grace. Mr. Copenhaver helped me to realize that. This year has served as a kind of wake-up call for me to 'Carpe Diem'! I've set about to make some changes in my life. One of them is to open my heart more. I've been blessed to have had some great examples in life. Most of them have now slipped beyond the veil. I have folded the lessons they taught me into my life so a part of them lives on through me. I hope I can do them honor…

No comments: