Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Finding Magic in the Mundane


There are many people who spend their lives going from one thrill to another. We sometimes call such folks "adrenaline junkies". It is as if they live their lives sporadically jumping from one thrill to the next. Their 'filler time' is mainly spent anticipating the next thrill. It seems to me that such folks miss out on most of life. They seem to only engage their awareness during what they consider their high points.

The rest of us know that, by far, most of life consists of the little things. It is finding joy in those little things that makes for a richer life to me. To live this way one must engage ones awareness.

Boredom seems to be the greatest curse in life for some people. When you find the joy in the little things boredom is never an issue. Washing the dishes or sweeping the floor may not be the most exiting parts of ones day but they are a necessary part of ones day...so finding joy even in them adds to the richness of life. The greatest benefit is, when you do find joy in the little mundane things...most of life becomes a joy!

In thinking about Zen of late, I've come to focus on the little, mundane things. Now when making my bed, or vacuuming my floors I don't think: "my life will start today when I'm finished with this". Now I extend my awareness to sense the small things. I take note of shapes, colors, textures, weights, sounds, smells and flavors. I accept them for what they are. Now I think: "this is my life". Thinking thusly has allowed me to slow down, smell the roses, and enjoy my days much more.

Zen teaches that we fully embrace the moment and not live in the past or the future. My faith teaches me the best way to let go of the past, that's where guilt and resentment reside, is to forgive everyone for everything. Don't let pettiness tie you down to the darkness. Reach for the light!

We can't live in the future either. So the best way to avoid worry and anxiety about the future...is living in the moment. When we do focus on the future, focus on hope! These tools and love...are the best ways to live in the present.

Learning to love, at least, something about where you live, what you do for a living and the people around you helps you to find some joy in the simple, daily things. Real love helps us to accept things and people as they are...not as we want them to be.

This way of seeing things allows us to uplift the mundane, to find life in it. It's a simple thing, not worth mentioning to most folks I suppose. But, it allows us to find a quiet joy not to have any greater expectation of the little things in life.

Quiet joy is what I live for these days. Forming something new in steel. Playing with my dog/best friend Sarah Belle. Watching the sunset. Enjoying a good meal. Playing Scrabble with the best person I know on earth...my mother. Feeling the cool of the evenings. Having a good conversation. Reading a good book. Helping a friend. Entering into my private, intimate walk with God through prayer. And, I can't forget laughter! These are the things I've come to look forward to. They're nothing great or exiting...but they make up the biggest part of my life.

There is a kind of magic in the ordinary things that we seem to miss until we slow down and take note. This means more than just being awake...it means being aware.

Living life is like enjoying a good book, every page should be relished. There are miracles all around, every day, if we'll reach out and notice. Living otherwise really isn't living...it's just hitting the high points. And, reading the Cliff notes edition means missing all the good stuff!

No comments: