Monday, November 14, 2005

Tests of Character

I remember a few years ago in California the hot button issue of the day was whether or not illegal aliens should have access to the states services.

Those against allowing them services made a very good point...one that appealed to my conservative nature...The state can't afford to just do everything for everyone... the state's services should be for the legal residents of the state. After all, there is only so much money to go around. And 'illegal' means 'illegal' after all!

The other side of me said: “I'm a Christian and I should be guided by the principles found in scripture”. And the scriptures are plain about aliens among us... They should be treated like we would like to be treated. We are not to oppress strangers among us.

The conundrum to me was that both positions are right...

I think there are many things in life that come down to similar choices. I don't know how I would have voted if I had lived in California during that debate. I honestly don't know.

I suspect that sometimes there isn't ONE right answer. I suspect that our answer is a test of our character.

It is funny to me that so many television shows are about real people being filmed in real life these days. Studies have been done about how they act and react differently knowing that a camera is watching. Eventually they tend to forget that cameras are watching.

I sometimes forget that God is always watching me...and I wonder how I fare in the everyday tests of my character...when I'm driving, when I'm dealing with people on the phone, when I deal with the garbage man, the service station attendant, the waitress bringing my food, the counter person at the store...

Am I a light to the world in the little things? God is watching...

No comments: