Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Believing In...

I’m not a gambler. I’ve never even bought a lottery ticket. It’s not from any particular doctrinal belief…it’s from thinking: “I have a dollar in my pocket now that I’m sure I have…why should I give that away for a one in a 25 million chance of winning more?!”
I’m told it’s a Scottish thing…

There is one thing I would gamble on though. I’d gamble on God’s picks…. Imagine that you were at a racetrack and you knew God was there…incognito of course. Say you found out which horse He was betting on… Which one would you bet on? See what I mean?!

Now I know the scriptures seem to be against gambling and my analogy of God coming down as a human being and picking out a specific horse to win a race some may find less than flattering, but you get my point.

From the beginning of my association with the CoG I’ve wondered about the concept of God’s ‘Calling’. Who are the elect?

I’ve come to believe that being ‘called’ happens in degrees. If someone reads the Bible and God opens their mind to understand one thing and that person goes away and lives that one thing as an act of worship because they believe God expects it of them…I think that is the first step. They’ve been called to understand one thing. Whether they are capable of more understanding or more obedience is for God to determine.

I expect, though I don’t ‘know’, that if God opens ones mind to understand one thing and that person goes away and doesn’t live it…their calling may end there. We will be judged by what we understand…and to give someone more understanding if they are not faithful in the little they know…well, that could greatly endanger them.

To whom much is given much is expected… That’s a scary scripture to me! We in the CoG believe we have been made privy to a correct understanding about quite a few things. Now it seems to me that whether we are correct or not…we are bound by what we believe we ‘should’ do. We’ve bound ourselves by what we accept as truth.

If in fact, we are called…I think of it as being picked by God. They Real Good New is that He believes in us! He’s put His money down…so to speak…and the race is on!

I’m always moved by the power of belief in someone. King David had some pretty shady friends early on in his career. He let them know that he believed in them and it transformed them into “Mighty Men of Valor”!

I’ve seen children go through some dark periods in their lives when they thought no one believed in them so they may as well continue on a downward spiral. When they met that one adult that saw something more in them they were transformed by that one person believing in them. If you let someone know you see integrity in them…many times they’ll make every effort to become the person reflected in your eyes.

Believing in someone and letting them know it is a powerful thing! It can reclaim lost lives. It can turn around someone headed for destruction. It can uplift and redeem someone who’s lost the power to believe in themselves. And it’s a gift that all of us can give someone else.

If you understand something that you believe God expects…live it. To do so is an act of worship to the Most High.

He believes in You…That’s His real gift to you. Now who would you bet on?

No comments: